Monday, October 21, 2013


As an artist, aspiring to be a designer, I feel the need to vent sometimes about how little I get paid to create art. I was asked to illustrate a children's book for a friend-of-a-friend, the conversation went something like this. "So what are you charging to illustrate a 32 page children's book, full color with text, cover, and back cover included." my answer - "wow, that's a lot of work involved, probably would take me a good 6 months of full time work." his response - "I was thinking about $8 a page? Sound about right?" Me after picking up my jaw off the floor - "We're looking more at $12,000-15,000 for a 32 page, full color, all bells and whistles included." His response a day later - "That's way too much money." 
Yes, yes sir it is way too much money for someone who thinks that $8 a page is reasonable. {venting nearing end} Most people think that art is what people do for fun and don't realize that we have kids and families, rent or mortgage, car payments, etc. just like everyone else. If we want the world and the designs around us to be beautiful and well made, then the world needs to realize who we are and what we do for a living. {vent over}

No comments:

Post a Comment